ISSN 1301 - 0883 / E-ISSN 1339 - 3886
 
 







 
 
Search





Advances in current medication and new therapeutic approaches in epilepsy [Eastern J Med]
Eastern J Med. 2018; 23(1): 48-59 | DOI: 10.5505/ejm.2018.62534  

Advances in current medication and new therapeutic approaches in epilepsy

Oruc Allahverdiyev1, Sara Dzhafar1, Mehmet Berköz2, Metin Yıldırım3
1Department of Pharmacology, Van Yuzuncu Yıl University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Van, Turkey
2Department of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Van Yuzuncu Yıl University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Van, Turkey
3Department of Biochemistry, Mersin University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mersin, Turkey

Epilepsy is one of the most complicated hypersynchronization inneurological state; however, the affected part of the brain defines the patient abnormality behavior. Unlike the younger patients whose seizures are usually overcome after the age of 16-18, older patients hardly overcome seizures, especially once the type of seizure developed to generalize tonic-clonic phase. Globally, epilepsy is considered as one of the burden brain electrical disorder that approached to effect 50 million people throughout the world. Pharmacoresistance, drug interactions, drug tolerability and various adverse effects are among the common problems associated with treatments of epilepsy with antiepileptic drugs (AEDs). Although, approximately 70% of the patients exhibit complete controlled seizures with most AEDs, the remaining 30% fail to respond to treatment with AEDs. Thus, looking for traditional alternatives like medicinal plants, ketogenic diet and the Atkins diet, using self-physical therapy power like relaxation and yoga, are all positive options for substituting the use of medications in seizure control. Medical plants are more common used by folk in making infusions herbal teas for pain relief and maintanence of health wellness, moreover they generate a rich source for ethnopharmacologist scientists to investigate the active components of extracted plant and produce it as a new agent from the nature with less side effects and economic value. Surgical intervention therapy is the last option that can be carried out after the failure of the suggested alternative therapies; however, all those alternatives minimize the seizures in terms of syndromes but not in completely eliminating the disease.

Keywords: Epilepsy, antiepileptics, complementary and alternative therapies, drug interactions, surgical intervention


Oruc Allahverdiyev, Sara Dzhafar, Mehmet Berköz, Metin Yıldırım. Advances in current medication and new therapeutic approaches in epilepsy. Eastern J Med. 2018; 23(1): 48-59

Corresponding Author: Oruc Allahverdiyev, Türkiye


TOOLS
Full Text PDF
Print
Download citation
RIS
EndNote
BibTex
Medlars
Procite
Reference Manager
Share with email
Share
Send email to author

Similar articles
PubMed
Google Scholar




 
Copyright © 2018 Eastern Journal of Medicine. All Rights Reserved.
Home        |        Contact
LookUs & OnlineMakale